Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Detectives Beyond Borders around the world, in the news, and on the Web

I am pleased to have been quoted at length in the Irish Examiner's review of Akashic Books' upcoming Belfast Noir volume of  crime stories. The piece appears under the entirely appropriate headline "`Belfast Noir': Move over Scandinavia, the Irish are the real thrillers ...," and it calls me "an international authority on crime-writing, whose blog ‘Detectives Beyond Borders’ has for many years been the last word on all things noir." Grateful thanks to my Irish peeps, and don't go accusing them of committing blarney. 

Stuart Neville, author
and member of my
Belfast Noir panel.
Photos by your formerly
humble blogkeeper.
I'll discuss Belfast Noir next week at Bouchercon in Long Beach. The panel is called "Belfast Noir: Stories of Mayhem and Murder from Northern Ireland," and it happens at 11:30 a.m., Friday, Nov. 14. I'm not saying I'll buy a pint of Guinness for everyone who shows up, but there's only one way for you to find out.

Paul Charles, also part 
of the Belfast Noir panel
 at Bouchercon.
Over at Dietrich Kalteis' Off the Cuff, which has published a number of my noir photos, I put down my camera to join Dietrich and co-host Martin Frankson for a chat about crime-fiction conferences. Dietrich and Martin talk a bit about how how authors might approach conventions from a business point of view. I talk fun, including a link to the story of the wandering bridesmaids of Bouchercon 2009.
*
I took the two author photos at Noircon 2014, the most fun one can have without leaving Philadelphia. Here are two more photos, from the event's concluding program at Port Richmond Books, just before the pierogi-fueled piss-up.

© Peter Rozovsky 2014

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Philip Amos said...

The Irish Examiner heaps upon you much kudos, Peter -- more than deserved and spot-on. I congratulate you and take pleasure in your receiving the recognition you rightly deserve. I think it calls for a tot or two of Bushmill's.

November 06, 2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your last picture of the bookstore strikes me as a perfect setting for a one-act play written in the style of Samuel Beckett. How is that for an Irish connection?

BTW, it is impossible to find a pierogi here on the Redneck Riviera. Ah, how I miss the ethnic diversity of the northeast. Pittsburgh, where I grew up, had to have been the pierogi capital of America. Damn, I'm hungry!

November 06, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Philip, I am no whiskey drinker, I'm afraid (or whisky, for that matter). but I'll accept a good IPA or the Continental Op's drink: gin and ginger ale. Thanks.

November 06, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

R.T., I will pass that suggestion along or perhaps even write the play myself.

I found out from a friendly commenter who lives in Poland, but the way, that pi(e)rogi is the plural form. The singular is pieróg.

Bon apetit!

November 06, 2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

But who on earth would eat only one pierog? Hence, there is no need for the singular form. Long live the beautiful little turnover dumpling. Damn, I'm still hungry! I scanned the menu at my favorite eatery for pierogi but found only things like these daily specials: country fried steak, red beans and rice, and deep-fried triggerfish. Alas, no Polish delights in the deep south!

November 06, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

That's just what I said when my distant interlocutor corrected me.

November 06, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home