Friday, October 12, 2012

Bouchercon 2012 and after: Stray encounters and sh**ting stars

"I'll take two," I said to the fruit vendor at Cleveland's West Side Market, delighted to find star fruit at just two for two dollars.

"Five for four," she said, filling my bag, "and here's an extra."

"For you," she said, handing me star fruits numbers seven and eight with my change.

So I'll be eating star fruit for a week. Thank you, Cleveland!
***
Michael's Produce, West Side Market, Cleveland
Photo by your humble blogkeeper
Among my pleasant Bouchercon encounters were those with Eric Beetner (it was good to be able to compliment him on his Dig Two Graves) and Julie Hyzy, who confirmed the partial paternity I'd claimed for the title of her novel Affairs of Steak and who also won the Anthony Award for best paperback original. (Stanley Trollip, a member of my "Murder is Everywhere" panel, won a Barry Award in the same category for Death of the Mantis.)
***
I met the gregarious vendors after Bouchercon. But even during the convention, I heard stories from my fellow attendees about Clevelanders' hospitality: the police officer who, asked directions by one attendee, gave her a lift to her destination. The staff member at a popular attraction who, though guided tours were out of season, said, "Come on," opened a door, and let another attendee snap some photos. The museum volunteer who ran outside to assure me that the couple who had slipped into a taxi ahead of me were not usurping my place in line, that the volunteer had, in fact, called a cab for them earlier.

Thank you again, Cleveland.

© Peter Rozovsky 2012

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter


Star fruit contains oxalic acid and eaten in large enough quantities can cos kidney problems so just dont overdose on them.

In Australia star fruit is made into a lot relishes which are delicious.

October 13, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I ate the last of them yesterday and I eat them rarely enough that I expect my kidneys match up well with anybody's. But thanks; I had not known about oxalic acid before.

October 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home