Thursday, November 04, 2010

Pre-con recon at Noircon

#Noircon2010 starts Thursday evening, but a few of us got an early start Wednesday at a reading from Impossibly Funky: A Cashiers du Cinemart Collection.

I didn't know "Cashiers ... " during its incarnation as a movie and popular-culture 'zine, but I loved the reminiscences Mike White read of his days working at a big movie theater. And I got a great kick out of co-author Chris Cummins' discussion of Gremlins, its screenplay, and its weird novelization. I may yet turn out to be a geek after all.

Afterward, got a jump on Noircon socializing with fellow attendees including Anita Thompson, Ed Pettit, Duane Swierczynski, Dennis Tafoya and Scott Phillips.

***
Also today, some good news from super-organizer Jon Jordan about Bouchercon 2011 in St. Louis: "The hotel assures me that the bar will be open to the legal limit each night as long as things don't get crazy. So as long as no one is dancing nude on the bar we should be good to go on that front."
See you in St. Louis!
***
This is Detectives Beyond Borders' 1,500th post.

© Peter Rozovsky 2010

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous kathy d. said...

Congrats on the 1500th post! May there be thousands more!

November 04, 2010  
Blogger Dana King said...

Congrats on 1500. I'll see you in St. Louis. First drink's on me.

November 04, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, Kathy. At the current pace, I should be bringing you post number 3,000 shortly after Bouchercon 2014 in Long Beach, Calif.

November 04, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, Dana. I'll have a Hendricks and tonic.

November 04, 2010  
Blogger Loren Eaton said...

This is Detectives Beyond Borders' 1,500th post.

I think huzzahs are in order ...

November 04, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I relish huzzahs. Thanks.

November 04, 2010  
Anonymous Mike Dennis said...

Wait a minute! You can't dance nude on the bar? Count me out!

And here I thought St Louis was a hip, happening town.

November 06, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'd gladly accept a requirement of discreetly placed pasties in return for having the hotel bar open until a reasonable hour.

November 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home